Join your classmates and friends, and bring your family to the Annual Leadership Howard County Day of Service on July 11! This is a unique day designed to welcome all our members together on a project that benefits a local community organization.
This year we have teamed up with the Robinson Nature Center, a unique education facility in Columbia, adjacent to the Middle Patuxent Environmental Area. The center’s attractions include:
- Interactive and multisensory exhibits for all ages
- NatureSphere, a digital planetarium and dome-style theater, with programs and movies
- Video alcove with ViewSpace, a self-updating multimedia astronomy display
- Children’s Discovery Room with hands-on activities
- Nature trail with arboretum and views of the Middle Patuxent River
- Balcony and green rooftop for outdoor nature viewing
We have been invited to work on a variety of outdoor projects. Tasks will be geared for adults and children (please indicated children’s ages on the registration form.)
9:00 a.m.: Volunteers will gather with some breakfast refreshments. Robinson Center staff will greet us and provide an overview of the facility and grounds, and its beautiful and unique aspects. They will describe the morning’s tasks, and volunteers will choose their activities based on interests and the age of their groups.Staff will stay with our group and work alongside volunteers.
9:30 am – 12 noon: Tasks include: removing invasive plants from the meadow and forest areas, planting native trees and shrubs, or weeding native plant gardens, rain gardens and the green roof. If it is a really hot day, we may not be able to do plantings, but there be will be other things like mulching that we can do.
Ages 6+ can do plantings; ages 12+ and adults can do all projects and remove invasive plants.
- Work gloves will be provided but bring your own if you prefer. Any necessary tools will also be provided.
- Closed-toe shoes required. Also be sure to bring hats and long sleeved shirts to protect from vegetation and sun.
- Please wear or bring sun protection.
- We will provide water and granola bars but please bring additionial beverages or snacks if you think your family will need them.
- This activity is rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather we will notify all registered attendees.
- Be sure to register! It will help us plan for activities and supplies.
Learn more about the Robinson Nature Center